Thursday, May 27, 2010

A new day

I am going to start this blog now. I have been getting into lots of different theatre blogs recently because I am in the process of making a real significant change in my job. I am getting a job in the scene shop in a yet to be named pro theatre in Atlanta after teaching theatre for two years at the Galloway School. I have noticed in my search for blogs that there is really not a good blog about Atlanta theatre, and there are almost no blogs about production. I don't necessarily promise that this will even be a blog about those things. But it is definitely time for me to break my blogosphere silence. I am going to start blogging about theatre in Atlanta and see where that takes me.

First of all, I recently saw a theatre event at the Center for the Puppetry Arts at the urging of a colleague, Park Cofield, who works there and was one of the directors. I was particularly impressed with two pieces. First of all, Princess Blood and the Callabash Tree conceived and directed by Damon Young was really incredible from a technical perspective. I have never really seen shadow puppetry stretched to the extreme that this play stretched it. I was confounded by the technical aspects of the production which made me thrilled for a night of really strong and mind-bending theatre. More briefly, the vision and inventiveness that went into String Theory by Kiera Robbins was pretty impressive. It consisted of a blacked out theatre with puppeteers in all black suits manipulating this flourescent painted string while standing in front of black light. As I'm sure you can gather from that description, you kinda had to be there.

Oh, and I'm going to see Jitney by the True Colors Theatre Company in its last few days of previews at the Southwest Arts Center. I love August Wilson, so I'm pretty excited to see this one. I've also been hearing amazing things about Kenny Leon for a long while, and I am excited to see what his company is doing. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment