Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Facebook-Phobia

Is Facebook... the Devil? I was speaking with my, now legendary friend, Russ Michniak (he just became a legend after having left Facebook) and I am conflicted. Before I spoke with Russ, I was actually a big fan. I saw all the positives: connections with old friends, the ability to stalk old flings, friends and co-workers, watching people you know get fat as they grow older. Ignorance was bliss.

Russ woke me up to a few things that I didn't know however, and I can honestly say I'm running scared.

1) They sell tons of information to advertisers who use the data to adjust there marketing schemes.

2) If you search C. Travis Williams online, you will get my Facebook page first. I have a blog, but you get my Facebook page. My blog actually doesn't come up at all. Maybe thats a settings issue. I don't know.

3) The games on Facebook are free of course. We all know this. But they aren't active in any way, and they want you to buy things like nice weapons and lawnmowers and things. So, its a faux-free game that is really only fun if you pay for it. Furthermore, its a game where the only goal is mindless accumulation. Is that what you want to do with your time? Its not what I want to do. But I'm addicted.

4) If you sign off Facebook, and then do things on "Facebook related sites," they will restart your account without asking your permission.

5) Your Facebook information and posts can be accessed from outside Facebook by people who are not members.

I don't know. I just don't know.

Is Facebook... The Devil?

No comments:

Post a Comment